Girls Incorporated has evolved considerably since young women formed the War Community Service in 1917. It has undergone many growth cycles in order to address the changing needs of the community. Shortly after moving to its present site in 1945, this organization became a charter member of Girls Clubs of America, Inc. In 1990, the national organization changed its name to Girls Incorporated to better reflect new national trends for more meaningful and educational programs for girls. In 1992, the Lowell affiliate officially became Girls Incorporated of Greater Lowell.